Organic Green propolis has quickly become a hot trend among the pharma and food supplement producers. But this is not a passing fad: it’s deeply rooted in the extraordinary Brazilian green propolis health benefits.
What is green propolis and what are the green propolis benefits that make it such an appealing ingredient both for brands and consumers? Keep reading to find out.
What is green propolis?
Green propolis is a propolis variety that is made from the Baccharis dracunculifolia, a plant species native to Brazil. This particular origin causes green propolis to present a distinctive green color and, additionally, multiple benefits that we analyze further down the article.
But first let’s take a look at the definition of propolis: a honeybee product with a resinous texture, it’s made from the bark and sprouts of several plants by bees.
This is a well-known ingredient in the food supplement and pharma sector because of its outstanding benefits, which include antimicrobial, antioxidative, tumoricidal and anti-inflammatory effects, among others.
Which are its properties?
Propolis presents a complex chemical composition that can greatly vary depending on how it’s been produced.
Organic green propolis, because of its specific origin, is not only easily recognizable but also presents a particular chemical composition in which a large content of phenolic acids stands out among other characteristics.
In fact, the particular components typically present in Organic green propolis include:
- Those derived from cinnamic acid (namely, artepillin, baccarin, p-coumaric acid and drupanin)
- Flavonoids such as caffeic acid or kaempferol
These naturally-occurring bioactive components translate into several green propolis benefits that have turned it into a hero ingredient in the current market:
- Antimicrobial and antibiotic against several bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus, Kocuria rhizophila and Candida fungi, thanks to its artepillin C and phenolic compounds, as suggested by recent research
- Anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating activity
- Wound and ulcer healing: several phenolic acids present in Brazilian green propolis provide a powerful action against ulcers and wounds, as shown by contemporary research.
- Brain activity: flavonoids in green propolis protect against oxidative damage by capturing free radicals, and have shown neuroprotective capacities against issues such as ischemic neuronal damage and cell death
- Antitumor capacities: green propolis has shown anticancer efficacy across several scientific researches and scenarios, including larynx and prostate cancer
- Dental health: Brazilian green propolis is able to prevent cavities related to S. mutans factors
Green propolis: benefits in the industry
With a long history in traditional medicine, propolis and green propolis in particular have been included in pharma and food supplement catalogs for decades now.
This incorporation also responds to current consumer preferences and preoccupations, which include a great focus on health and well-being, the search for natural remedies and a particular interest in immunological protection.
As green propolis benefits are more and more known, the pharma and food supplement sectors are increasingly aware of how they align with current consumer preferences.
In fact, at Honey Green+ we’ve measured this propolis trend through our Propolis market study:
- In Europe, 271 products have been launched on the market in the last 5 years as a product aimed at all age groups
- The use of this ingredient has experienced a significant growth in the last years: while 29 products were launched in 2018 that included propolis as an ingredient, 41 were launched in 2020.
But what are the specific Brazilian organic green propolis health benefits that the pharma and food supplement sectors are hoping to achieve and present to their customers? Let’s take a look:
Benefits in pharma
The anticarcinogenic, antimicrobial and antiinflammatory effects of green propolis (as shown in Antioxidative bioavailability of artepillin C in Brazilian propolis by Kazuo Shimizu,a Hitoshi Ashida,a Yukinaga Matsuura,b and Kazuki Kanazawa) have turned this propolis variety into a favorite in the pharma industry.
- In fact, its high content in artepillin C (an antioxidant) allows this natural ingredient to act on a cellular DNA level related to several degenerative conditions such as cancer. It has thus been proven to protect against nerve cell damage, providing an effective complementary cancer therapy and chemopreventive activities
- It has also effectively been used in decongestants targeting cough, colds and the flu, using different formulas such as syrups or effervescent tablets that may also include honey
- Green propolis has also been used to generate products targeting diabetic complications
- Retinal damage studies have also provided literature around the use of green propolis against this condition both in in vitro and in vivo tests. This is linked to the neuroprotective effects provided by Brazilian green propolis, which is able to inhibit oxidative stress processes
- A natural antibiotic
- Circulatory and heart treatments can also benefit from including green propolis as an ingredient
Benefits in food supplements
The growth of the vitamin and food supplement sector is unquestionable. In order to generate more innovative products that align with current consumer preferences, the sector has also turned to propolis and green propolis in particular.
Taking different shapes such as vitamins, dietary supplements and capsules, the following green propolis benefits have made it stand out in the current food supplement sector:
- As studies show how green propolis supplementation reduces inflammatory responses and endotoxemia by preventing dysbiosis, the food supplement industry has been quick to harness this benefit. Research concludes how this ingredient’s powerful phytochemicals present antioxidant effects that help regulate the lipidic and glycemic metabolism
- The potential in strengthening the immune system has also been a focus for the food supplement sector
- As more consumers focus on their mental health, the positive effects of green propolis in this area (such as stress reduction) turn it into a key ingredient for certain food supplementation formulas
- This ingredient’s capacity to promote sport performances is also of interest to the food supplement industry
- Its help preventing gastrointestinal disorders and lowering blood pressure has once again proven green propolis to be an ally in food supplement product development
What makes green propolis special compared to others?
To summarize the conclusions we’ve reached throughout the article, green propolis builds up from the already-known advantages of propolis. However, due to its specific chemical composition, it presents several particularities:
- Specific organoleptic characteristics in its texture, taste and smell, as well as a characteristic green color
- A high content in phenolic acids and artepillin C in particular which, in turn, generate specific benefits that have been mobilized by the food supplement and pharma sectors, including exceptional anti inflammatory, antioxidant, antibacterial and antifungal effects, immunomodulating activities and anticancer and chemopreventive outcomes
Honey Green+ : your organic green propolis supplier
At Honey Green+, we work to guarantee companies have access to the highest-quality natural ingredients and to become a trusted supplier for the pharma and food supplement industries, among others.
From this perspective, we offer propolis and green propolis in bulk, in the form of 10 kg plastic buckets.
Regarding Propolis, we also have the following formats:
- Raw propolis 1 Kg bag in 20 Kg carton
- Propolis extract in block 1 Kg bag in 20 Kg carton
- Propolis extract in powder 1 Kg bag in 20 Kg carton
It’s also available in its Organic version
Our Brazilian Green Propolis has been sustainably produced by experienced beekeepers in the state of Minas Gerais, thus guaranteeing a high-class product that also cares about the environment and the natural ecosystem where this exceptional product is created.
Want to learn more? Download our free Propolis catalogue and get inspired to incorporate this ingredient to innovative, effective products that align with current consumer interests.