The current context is one of increasing interest and consumer demand for honey-related products and a boost in the food supplement industry and natural pharma products. As such, companies are in a race to align their product catalogs, a quest that often accompanies the search of a reliable honey wholesaler.
From our experience and perspective as key players in the honey suppliers market, at Honey Green+ we offer guidance on what are the most popular honey-related alternatives today.
Honey used as ingredient in product formulas
Pushed by current consumer preferences for natural products and the well-known benefits of honey worldwide, this ingredient has been living a particularly sweet moment.
In fact, market research by Fortune Business Insights highlights how honey presented a “stellar growth of 9%” during 2020 (a troubled year for many other industries) and is expected to continue expanding at a CAGR of 5.5% in the period between 2021 and 2028.
Product launches containing honey also continue growing, so that it’s now a common ingredient in the food industry, cosmetics, pharma products and the food supplement industry.
Additionally, the main claims corporations are using to promote these products include:
- Immune system support
- Natural and organic
- Free of allergens and additives
Why do pharma and food supplements companies use honey?
Honey’s health benefits have long been recognized by traditional medicine and, more recently, backed by rigorous scientific research. As such, honey is recognized worldwide as an effective treatment for many types of disorders
- Nourishing and moisturizing. The positive impact of honey in dermatology and skin health has long been acknowledged by modern scientific research. Other cosmetic benefits include honey as an anti-irritant, emollient, epithelial restorative and soothing agent.
- Antibacterial, antiseptic, antioxidant and antifungal. The many chemical compounds found in honey make up a powerful healing natural ingredient able to treat and correct a wide variety of diseases, preventing infections and other complications in throat issues, wounds and beyond, as supported by research.
- Probiotic and prebiotic effect. Premium-quality honey contributes in generating a positive impact in the body’s beneficial bacteria and yeast.
- Contributes to biodiversity. The production of honey involves a delicate balance found in nature: while bees generate honey, they also help pollinate diverse plant species. As such, bees are considered a key agent for biodiversity.
The right honey wholesaler will acknowledge this balance and, through a certified quality-control process that is sustainable from an environmental point of view.
- Natural preservative. As such, honey-related products present an extended shelf life.
While all these well-known benefits are accessible, not all honey is made equal.
As such, it’s key that honey suppliers work to guarantee the highest possible quality in their products, by providing the following features:
- It must provide origin traceability
- Having an analytical plan is essential to ensure the highest product quality in which it analyzes physical-chemical analysis, antibiotics, microbiology, pesticides, genetical modified microorganisms, heavy metals and pollen content.
- Products must follow a clean process, and involve no additives and no preservatives
- It must present a saturated sugars solution
- They should offer a variety of monofloral and multifloral honeys, with different degrees of intensity and organoleptic notes, which facilitate alignment with different types of consumer preferences
- Certifications as organic and Fairtrade
Pharma products and food supplement industry
The health benefits of honey have turned it into a popular ingredient in the pharma sector and the food supplement industry, both targeting health-oriented consumers with a preference for natural ingredients.
Syrups, mouthwashes, caps, tablets, spray, capsules, lozenges, gummies, shot, and vials are common formats for including honey in these companies’ catalogs.
Honey is used as a sweetener and flavor-enhancer in cereal bars, drinks, sauces and dressings, cookies, snacks, spreads, baby food, confectionery…This category also includes pet food and the cooking and baking industry, enhancing texture in food formulas.
The retail sector offers honey as sweet and spreads with multiple varieties from a polyfloral honey to a monofloral orange or manuka honey and blends with ingredients such as CBD or curcuma, known as infused honeys.
The cosmetic sector has been quick to realize the potential of honey as a natural, well-known ingredient.
In cosmetic formulations, it provides moisturizing, calming and conditioning effects, while also playing a part in anti-ageing processes and regulating pH levels. Its proven antibacterial effects have also made it a favorite ingredient in anti-acne formulations. As such, honey is employed in cleaning and moisturizing creams, after sun formulations, emulsions, make up, shampoo and conditioning, masks…
Honey wholesaler: buying options and what to look for
Picking the right honey wholesaler can make a difference when looking to incorporate honey in a company’s catalog.
At Honey Green+, we’ve worked to meet the highest quality standards in the honey market, and become a reliable global honey wholesaler.
These are some of our specific standards, which qualify us among the top honey suppliers today:
- We provide a convenient sale format in the shape of 25 Kg drums, 300 Kg honey drums and 1.400 IBC
- We are Bio, Fairtrade and IFS certified.
- Our honey varieties present various traceable origins, including Spain, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Italy, Ukraine, Turkey, China, New Zealand, Brasil, Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay and Chile.
- We also provide exclusive consulting services. Through our Beeconsulting area, we offer market intelligence to our clients in order to boost their sales, focusing on market trends and current end-consumer demands. At Honeygreen, we understand innovation not as a discovery but as the search for a solution. As such, we work closely with our clients to make sure we understand their unique needs and offer tailored proposals for their product development.
- We rely on external laboratories accredited under the UNE – EN ISO/IEC 17025 standard as QSI, Intertek and Eurofins.
- We have a robust management system that allows us to monitor every product batch, from the production of origin to the delivery to the customer.
- As a honey wholesaler of high-quality honey, we value our human team, which is able to provide their in-depth knowledge of global markets, their capacity to select the best raw materials, and work hand in hand with our customers, all with the aim of offering the best options for product development.
Our commitment to quality shows: our Quality Department team works with demanding tasks, cooperates with our suppliers and laboratories of reference. At HoneyGreen+, we are all part of this commitment to quality and improvement, therefore we set a great importance to permanent training and updating.
Honey Experts: get to know different kinds of honey
As part of our dedication to becoming the right honey wholesaler, we know quality in service also means having access to a wide variety of honey types, as each honey presents its own benefits and particular organoleptic notes. We offer more than 20 varieties from all over the world.
A particularly booming honey variety today, the unique health benefits of Manuka Honey are currently being used in diverse applications, such as the development of medicated confectionery. Some of the key benefits of Manuka Honey include:
- Presents the strongest antibacterial and antimicrobial and antiviral properties among all honey types
- A natural anti-inflammatory agent
- Boosts the immune system
You might be interested: Download our free ebook about Manuka Honey and discover why it’s been called the best natural antibiotic in the world
Linden Honey, originated from the flowers of the Linden tree, is known for some extraordinary health benefits:
- A source of more vitamins and minerals than other honey varieties
- Helps in treating certain chronic diseases thanks to its phenolic and flavonoid compounds, which turn it into a powerful anti-inflammatory agent
- Sweeter than other honey varieties
In our role as global honey suppliers, we offer high-quality Chestnut Honey as an extraordinary honey variety with many associated health benefits:
- Rich in antioxidants, it’s related with a positive impact in reducing oxidative stress
- Presents a high iron content, as well as Vitamin B and Vitamin C
- Potent antibacterial and antimicrobial agent
Our premium Lavender Honey, which comes both in the Espliego and the Stoechas varieties, exhibits exceptional levels of Tyrosine, an amino acid linked to the following health advantages of Lavender Honey:
- An enhancement of neurotransmitter activity
- Melanin production
- Estrogen production
Acacia Honey is used in the pharma, food and food supplement industries for several reasons:
- Presents a powerful antioxidant activity due to its high content in flavonoids and other plant compounds
- Its liquid texture, as Acacia Honey rarely crystallizes
- A neutral flavor and aroma that can be preferred by certain consumer profiles
A popular choice as part of our services as honey wholesalers, our Rosemary Honey is known to:
- Provide powerful anti inflammatory action
- Accelerate wound healing due to its antimicrobial and antiseptic properties
- Improve blood circulation
Our premium Eucalyptus Honey is known for some of its noteworthy characteristics:
- A distinct, intense damp wood aroma
- One of the most powerful honey varieties to fight colds, the flu and respiratory illnesses
- Rich in Vitamin C and vitamin B9, all known to boost the immune system
Honey Green’s Heather Honey is helping companies address their consumers’ health concerns in a number of ways:
- Rich in antioxidants
- Traditionally used against digestive disorders
- A source of a number of nutrients, it incorporates 10 times more Manganese than other honey varieties
Our Mountain Honey in bulk presents several unique characteristics:
- Originates from honeydew, rather than flowers’ nectar
- Is a multifloral honey, so that its aroma may vary from fruity, to malted or earthy undertones
- Provides help with a number of health issues, including endocrine imbalances and cardiovascular disease
All in all, our catalog includes a wide variety of honey types, all ready to be incorporated into innovative, successful product formulations that align with consumers’ current preferences for natural, health-oriented ingredients.
Want to learn more about Honey Green+ and how we can help you develop successful honey-based product formulas?
We’re help to help: discover our commitment as reliable honey wholesalers in our World Bee Day presentation to get inspired by the world of beehive natural ingredients.