Seasonal changes tend to bring about similar changes in the human body and, in the case of the cold months, these typically manifest in a prevalence of colds and the much dreaded sore throat. Beehive products represent the perfect ally for consumers looking for natural ingredients that can provide an effective relief for these issues. In this context, the propolis throat spray has become an inseparable companion to many.
The propolis spray is now a well-known formula by consumers looking for the instant throat relief it provides, as well as its proven success in enhancing the immune system. As such, companies are looking for new, innovative ways to provide added value and generate unique spray propolis goods.
Building from this perspective, let’s go through the ins and outs of the propolis throat spray and the current options for successful formulas.
Cold weather: one of the causes of sore throat
For many, the cold months equal the advent of a variety of symptoms which mainly focus on the body’s response to cold and dry ambiences. While the causes and manifestations are many, coughing and a sore throat remain two of the most common malaises.
Aligning with consumers’ increased interest in natural remedies, the cold months are also the moment for pharma and food supplement companies to provide innovative beehive formulas that help consumers brave the cold season and prevent the sore throat.
Propolis and sore throat: the perfect allies
As we’ve mentioned above, beehive products in general and propolis in particular have long been known for their capability to prevent and treat throat-related diseases.
In fact, propolis acts as a natural anti-inflammatory that provides relief for a wide spectrum of throat infections, from simple viral issues to infections related to the streptococcus bacteria.
Let’s go in detail through these benefits and the reason why the propolis throat spray has been hailed as the favorite remedy for many.
Propolis throat spray: the ins and outs of this successful formula
What is propolis?
Propolis (also known as ‘bee glue’) is a resinous mixture produced by bees from multiple botanical sources including tree buds and sap flows.
A true natural treasure, it’s made by Apis mellifera bees, who add wax and salivary secretions to the resinous, gummy or balsamic materials they collect from plants. The resulting product is a natural antibiotic used by bees to protect themselves: added to hive walls, it reduces microbial growth.
In fact, propolis is a source of polyphenols, phenolic acids and flavonoids, which translates into powerful antioxidant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibiotic properties.
Human beings have long been aware of these benefits: the use of propolis’ healing properties has been documented in ancient Egypt and Greece. On the other hand, modern science was also quick to study and confirm these benefits
The propolis throat spray: why it’s so effective
The propolis throat spray has become an extremely successful formula to fight sore throat issues because of the possibility to pulverize it, applying it directly in the problematic area. As such, propolis drops have also been thriving.
Because of its popularity and success, companies are increasingly experimenting with innovative propolis spray formulas that generate an added value. In fact, recent years have seen a surge in the available options in the market: from adding herbal remedies in the form of essential oils such as eucalyptus and lemon, to building up from the outstanding benefits of the exclusive manuka honey.
Let’s see some examples of real propolis product launches in the European market in the last couple of years:
Propolis throat sprays
- Product variety 1: propolis alcohol solution (70%) (propolis (15%))
- Product variety 2: water, glycerin (38%), manuka honey (10%), propolis (2%), preservative (potassium sorbate), vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)
- Product variety 3: spraypurified and dehydrated dry propolis extract (total polyphenols (3%), natural flavors, dry mint (Mentha x piperita L.) leaf extract, acidifier (citric acid), sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame K), preservatives (potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate)
- Product variety 4: medicinal ingredients: bee propolis (propolis, Apis mellifera secretion). non-medicinal ingredients: glycerin, purified water
- Product variety 5: water, honey, hydroalcoholic propolis extract (20%), organic Eucalyptus globulus essential oil (0,06%)
- Product variety 1: Ingredients: pure propolis (5%), extraction solvent (water, glycol (food grade))
- Product variety 2: ethanol, water, pure propolis (10%)
- Product variety 3: cane sugar, glucose syrup, MGO 400+ manuka honey (8%) (Leptospermum scoparium), water, propolis (2%), lemon oil, vitamin C
- Product variety 4: pure green propolis extract (30%), alcohol, purified water
- Product variety 5: natural extracts in vegetable glycerin (echinacea (Echinacea Angustifolia D.C) extract, propolis extract, thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) extract)
Propolis spray: mode of use
One of the main reasons behind the propolis throat spray success is that it provides a convenient mode of use: it is pulverized within the oral cavity and can be applied between 2 to 4 times a day.
The benefits of using a propolis spray
The chemical composition we’ve described above is the reason behind the many health benefits associated with the use of the propolis throat spray. The following are the key benefits of the spray propolis:
- Throat protection: propolis acts as a defense against damaging and infectious external factors
- Medicinal treatment: the antiviral, antibacterial, antiinflammatory and antifungal activity of propolis guarantees a natural remedy against common throat illnesses
- Hoarseness improvement: it provides an instant relief thanks to its direct application to the throat and the proven action of propolis as an analgesic
- Fresh breath: innovative propolis throat spray formulas provide added value by making the most of the spray formula
- Instant improvement for aphonia: most aphonia cases (that is, the inability to speak due to the damage of the larynx of mouth) benefit instantly from the application of a propolis spray
- Allergy minimization: propolis has been successful in minimizing certain allergic reactions thanks to the inhibition of histamine production
Key considerations for propolis throat spray formulas
The current role of propolis in the market
As we’ve mentioned above, the marked trend and consumer preference for natural ingredients has taken many industries by storm, with the pharma and food supplement sectors being at the forefront of this movement.
In such a context, beehive products used as active ingredients have been thriving, including many key innovations in the food supplement industry.
Propolis stands out as a crucial element for this phenomenal growth, which can be measured by its expected market value increase for the coming decade. Analysts such as Grandview Research value the global propolis market size at USD 636.6 million in 2021, and forecast its expansion at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.3% from 2022 to 2028. Other more recent analyses are even more positive: Market Research Future forecasts the propolis market value to present a CAGR of approximately 6.23% from 2022 to 2030.
Regarding the causes for this expansion, the sources mentioned above cite the following:
- The demand by the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries, as well as the dermatology sector, to align with customer preferences in the treatment of a variety of malaises. The Grand View research also cites the increasing rate of herpes simplex virus, which can be treated using propolis
- A rise in consumer health consciousness, as people are more inclined to pay attention to their wellbeing and health and to increase their investment in this area
- An increase in disposable income and living standards on a global scale
Preferred consumption formulas
Data by Grand View research also reveals the preferred formulas for adding propolis into natural remedies and pharma products. As such, the analysis shows:
- A traditional preference for capsule and tablet formulas. In 2021, the year the study was carried out, this segment dominated the market, with a revenue share of over 61.0% among all propolis formulas.
- An increasing demand for liquid propolis formulas. On the other hand, the analysis cites how liquid propolis (which is included in propolis throat spray and drop formulas) is expected to register the highest growth rate (reaching 2.8%) in the forecast period.
This information paints a clear picture for companies looking to incorporate propolis to their catalogs and build innovative formulas that add value and align with customer preferences in the mid and long term.
Propolis sourcing options
The source of propolis is a crucial choice when it comes to building successful formulas: it must be carefully selected and produced to guarantee the highest quality possible. Quality propolis can be obtained from different locations, with Europe and China being major producers. Besides, companies should acknowledge a colony produces an average of 150g to 300g per season.
Additionally, companies must ensure they align with current consumer preoccupations regarding environmental costs related to production and product sourcing. As propolis is directly sourced from beehives and produced by bees, collection and production must ensure care is taken to guarantee the health of bees, and avoid their overexploitation.
Purchase criteria to buy Propolis: a crucial choice
How is propolis collected?
The main traditional techniques for collecting propolis include scratching the beehive and collecting propolis on a plastic grid.
Again, the right collection techniques will ensure beehive continuity, as well as product quality. Additionally, reliable companies will guarantee product traceability is achieved, providing a robust management system that allows them and their clients to monitor every product batch from collection point to its delivery to the customers.
The production of propolis
As we’ve mentioned above, propolis is generated by bees by collecting plant resins and altering them through naturally-produced secretions. In order for humans to access propolis’ benefits, it must follow a separation process using extraction solvents that results in the propolis tincture.
High-quality propolis will comply with standards provided by external international reference laboratories accredited under the UNE – EN ISO/IEC 17025 standard.
How to choose the best provider? HoneyGreen Portfolio in Propolis
At Honey Green, we commit to offering high-quality propolis in bulk for companies looking to incorporate this natural treasure to their catalogs.
As such, we work to guarantee companies have access to the highest-quality propolis to become a trusted supplier in the pharma and food supplement industries, among others.
We offer propolis and green propolis in bulk in the following formats:
- Raw propolis: 1 Kg bag in 20 Kg carton. available in its Organic version
- Propolis extract in block: 1 Kg bag in 20 Kg carton. available in its Organic version
- Propolis extract in powder: 1 Kg bag in 20 Kg carton
- Organic green raw propolis in the form of 10 kg plastic buckets
- Organic brown raw propolis in the form of 10 kg plastic buckets
Want to learn more about how to incorporate a propolis throat spray to your catalog and generate an innovative and successful formula that aligns with current market trends? At Honey Green, we can help you.
Download our free propolis catalog or our corporate presentation to know more about our mission and vision and available products, or get in touch with us to directly speak to our team about your company’s needs and get a personalized fee estimate.